Tax Payment Options
You can pay your County taxes using the options outlined on this page.
Cash, Check or Money Order
- Accepted at both Hillsborough & Chapel Hill locations
- Mail checks to:
P.O. Box 8181
Hillsborough, NC 27278
- A $25 will be charged for any checks returned due to insufficient funds
- Make checks payable to: Orange County Tax Collector
Pay with Credit and Debit Card AND NOW E-Check!
- We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover cards and e-checks.
- Orange County has partnered with Point & Pay LLC to offer credit and debit card, and now e-check payment solutions to its taxpayers. A convenience fee will be associated all credit or debit card transactions as well as e-check transactions. This convenience fee is paid to and retained by Point and Pay LLC for the use of its automated service and Orange County does not receive any portion of the convenience fee.
- This fee is separate from your property tax amount.
- Some payments made using a Visa Debit Card are assessed a flat fee of $3.95.
- All other credit/debit cards incur a convenience fee of 2.5% of the transaction amount. A minimum service charge of $2.00 applies.
- E-check fee is a flat rate of $2.00.
- In Office: In light of the current health crisis we urge taxpayers who traditionally pay taxes in person during December and early January to pay by mail, our new E-check option, credit/debit card, or by drop box to avoid sizeable wait times and to avoid close gatherings of people.
- By Phone: Call 1-844-435-3981
- Pay Online
Currently the Chapel Hill Revenue Office Dropbox is to be used for check payments only, PLEASE DO NOT PUT CASH INTO THIS DROPBOX
Personal Online Banking Bill Pay
- Pay a tax bill using your financial institution’s bill pay service.
- Allow time for processing, we recommend scheduling your payment to be made at least 5 business days prior to the actual due date on the tax bill.
- Be certain to verify the property tax bill number is submitted with your payment to ensure proper credit. Delayed posting may occur if the incorrect tax number is provided. The bill number is printed in color on your bill.
- If making an advance payment, please have your bank indicate ‘Prepayment’ on the remittance.
- Make payable and remit to: Orange County Tax Office P.O. Box 8181, Hillsborough, NC 27278.
A bank draft program now available through the Orange County Tax Office will make it easier to pay your current year real and personal property taxes over a 10 month period of time.
You may choose to have your payments drafted out on either the 5th or the 20th of the month. The application is available HERE or at our Hillsborough office location.
Mail the completed application to our office, along with a voided check, by January 4, 2021 and we will calculate your monthly payments for you based on your tax bill from the previous year. After the final draft, if there is a balance due, we will send you a bill reflecting all payments and the amount that must be sent in by Jan 5th of the next year. For questions about this program, contact the Tax Office at 919-245-2100 option 2.
Delinquent Collection Remedies
Enforced collection of taxes begins as soon as the bill becomes delinquent. Legal actions to collect taxes include, but are not limited to: garnishment of wages, attachment of bank accounts and rents, seizure and sale of personal property, and foreclosure and sale of real property.
All enforced collection methods include collection costs that you are required to pay in addition to taxes, penalties, and interest. Delinquent real property taxes are advertised in March.