Annual Operating Budget
The County operates under an balanced budget each fiscal year, from July 1 through June 30, per North Carolina statute. The County's Annual Operating Budget estimates the total value of resources required to perform County operations. The Annual Operating Budget also sets tax rates and fee schedules for the fiscal year.
In May, the County Manager recommends an Annual Operating Budget for the next fiscal year to the Board of County Commissioners (BOCC). The BOCC conducts public hearings and work sessions, and may amend the Recommended Budget, before approving a final budget in June.
- FY 2021-22 Commissioner Approved Annual Operating Budget Ordinance
- FY 2021-22 Manager Recommended Annual Operating Budget
- FY 2020-21 Commissioner Approved Annual Operating Budget
- FY 2020-21 Manager Recommended Annual Operating Budget
- View historical Annual Operating Budget documents from prior fiscal years.
Capital Investment Plan (CIP)
FY 2021-26 (Next Year)
- FY 2021-26 Manager Recommended Capital Investment Plan
- FY 2021-26 Manager Recommended Capital Investment Plan Presentation
FY 2020-25 (Current Year)
- View historical Capital Investment Plan documents from prior fiscal years.
Proposed Budget Amendments
Each May, the County Manager presents a Recommended Budget for the next fiscal year to the Board of County Commissioners (BOCC). In considering the Recommended Budget, the BOCC conducts multiple public hearings and budget work sessions. During these sessions, Commissioners and staff may propose to amend the budget as it was presented by the Manager.
Amendments to the Recommended Budget are subsequently voted on by the BOCC at the last work session prior to anticipated budget adoption. A final budget is approved by the BOCC each June.
County Commissioners may propose amendments to the County Manager’s Recommended Budget. A list of amendments are available at the following link and are added as each become available:
This list is updated as amendments are proposed or as supplemental information becomes available. Amendments which pass are subsequently incorporated into the full budget proposal to be considered for passage by the BOCC.
Note: Please note these amendments pertain only to the next fiscal year's Manager Recommended Budget proposal. For amendments to the current fiscal year's Commissioner Approved Budget, please review adopted Budget Amendments in the Ordinances section of BOCC's document management portal.
View supplemental documents for the budget development process:
View interactive financial data about the current fiscal year.
- How does the county budget process work?
- What is the relationship between the BOCC and school budgets?
- How much influence does the Board of Commissioners wield with school budgets?
- What are property tax rates in Orange County?
- How will you spend revenue from the 1/4 cent increase for climate change?