Areas of Focus
- High blood pressure and weight management
- High-risk pregnant women
- Overweight/Underweight and feeding issues in infants and children
I have been with the Health Department since March 2002 and manage the Nutrition Services Section. As a Registered Dietitian, I have worked in a variety of settings focused on chronic disease, weight management and behavior change strategies to include: conducting a weight management program with Rex Wellness Centers, providing cardiac rehab and wellness with UNC Wellness Centers, and providing online e-counseling and group weight management classes for a UNC-CH study. I also worked as a program associate for a motivational interviewing and behavior change study for colon cancer at UNC-CH and as the Associate Project Director for a mammography and breast cancer research group.
My areas of expertise include chronic disease management (diabetes, cholesterol, obesity), high risk pregnant women and overweight children. It is my goal to provide a personalized approach with each client to help my recommendations meet the person's lifestyle and become permanent changes. It's important to really listen to my client's wants, needs and preferences, and together we collectively determine goals to improve his/her medical condition.
Languages I Speak
Training / Education / Certification
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Bachelor of Science in Biology, 1997
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Master of Public Health in Nutrition 2001
Awards & Special Certifications
- Certificate of Training in Child Weight Management, 2008
- Certificate of Training in Adult Weight Management, 2005
- Licensed Dietitian/Nutritionist with the North Carolina Board of Dietetics/Nutrition
- Registered Dietitian with the Commission on Dietetic Registration