You can pay any of your taxes using the following methods.Pay Online
Cash, Check or Money Order
- Accepted at both locations
- Make checks payable to: Orange County Tax Collector
- Mail checks to: PO Box 8181, Hillsborough, NC 27278
- A $25 or 10% penalty (whichever is greater) will be charged for any checks returned due to insufficient funds
- Payments by credit or debit card can be made in the Orange County Tax Office located at 228 South Churton Street in HILLSBOROUGH or by telephone (1-844-435-3981) or online.
- Although the Chapel Hill Revenue Office accepts cash or check payments, they DO NOT accept credit or debit card payments.
- Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover
- A convenience fee will be associated with credit or debit card transactions. This convenience fee is a charge assessed when a consumer pays with credit card rather than by cash or check. Orange County has partnered with Point and Pay LLC to offer credit and debit card payment solutions to its taxpayers. The convenience fee currently is 2.5% of the transaction amount with a minimum charge of $2.00. For payments made using a Visa Debit Card, the convenience fee charged will be a flat fee of $3.95. The convenience fee is paid to and retained by Point and Pay LLC for the use of its automated service. This fee is separate from your property tax amount, and Orange County does not receive any portion of the convenience fee.
- Must use bill number to ensure proper credit.
- Bill number is printed in color on your bill.
Delinquent Collection Remedies
Enforced collection of taxes begins as soon as the bill becomes delinquent. Legal actions to collect taxes include, but are not limited to: garnishment of wages, attachment of bank accounts and rents, seizure and sale of personal property, and foreclosure and sale of real property.
All enforced collection methods include collection costs that you are required to pay in addition to taxes, penalties, and interest. Delinquent real property taxes are advertised in March.