Orange County urges residents to remain at home if possible during this COVID-19 outbreak. Any residents who need to transact business with Orange County Government are asked to use our available online services or the telephone.
Below is a list of which departments are offering limited functionality during this time, either over the phone or via the website. If it is an urgent or emergency situation, staff will respond appropriately. Some offices may be able to schedule an in-person appointment, but residents must call before visiting the office to arrange an appointment.
Aging Transitions, Senior Center programming and Volunteer Connect 55+ staff are available by phone or email.
- Passmore Center (919-245-2015)
- Seymour Center (919-968-2070)
- Aging Helpline (919-968-2087)
The Animal Shelter is closed to the public, but some services, including adoptions, are available via appointments. Call 919-942-7387, and follow the prompts that best fit your needs. Please note the following changes:
- In shelter operations, meet and greets will be limited to a single person meeting with a single animal they have identified on the basis of Pet Harbor (our website).
- Field services will limit response to public nuisance complaints. Specifically, we will respond only if: 1) we can do so by phone; 2) the complaint is about a chronic issue; and 3) there is a dog at large.
- We are suspending spay and neuter operations in order to conserve personal protective equipment and medical resources. Adopters will be provided a spay and neuter voucher to be used when we resume operations.
- Owner surrenders or bringing stray animals to shelter: We are currently asking that public delay surrenders if at all possible. Please call to make an appointment for bringing any animal to the shelter: 919-942-7387, option 2. After-hours night drop is open and being checked daily.
- Reporting lost & found pets: Visit https://www.orangecountync.gov/295/Lost-Found or call 919-942-7387, option 2, if you need help filing a report.
- Licensing: Visit https://www.orangecountync.gov/343/Licensing for details and instructions.
- Donations: Visit https://www.orangecountync.gov/364/Donations for details and instructions.
Child Support Services
Staff will be available by phone (919-245-2175) or email. The State’s automated system can be reached at 800-992-9457. Additionally, the echildsupport portal (https://www.ncchildsupport.com/ecoa/) can be used for the following:
- Apply Online for Child Support Services
- Case Information
- Payment Information
- Pay Child Support
Criminal Justice Resources Department
- Referral forms and information available on the CJRD website: www.orangecountync.gov/432/Criminal-Justice-Resource-Department
- Pretrial Services – Will continue to complete intakes at Jail and provide recommendations for release for stakeholders for daily first appearances or bond motions. Call Ted Dorsi (919-245-2970) or Cait Fenhagen (919-245-2303) or cell (919-423-4272).
- Treatment Courts – Will not have court sessions currently, but Coordinator and Case Manager still working with participants and ensuring support and accountability. Call Sean O’Hare (919-886-8855) or Andrea McSwain (910-918-8597).
- Adult and Youth Behavioral Health Services – Allison Zirkel (919-245-2304) and Nancy Lappenbusch (919-245-2311) will continue to coordinate mental health and substance use services and referrals for in-custody population primarily and will continue to provide case management and therapeutic support for court-involved individuals who have been released. They will work remotely and only in court, office or Jail as needed.
- Pre-Arrest Diversion – Desmond Frierson (919-245-2312) will be working remotely but still accepting referrals and completing intakes by phone.
- Local Reentry Council – Our Coordinator and Case Manager will be working primarily remotely but still accepting referrals and supporting and providing case management and resources for LRC clients. Keith Patterson (919-245-2064) or Tiffany Bullard (984-439-5998).
- Restoration Legal Counsel – Emma Ferriola-Bruckenstein (919-451-0281) will work remotely and will still accept referrals and complete intakes and prepare motions and orders remotely.
Applications for Medicaid and Food and Nutrition Services can be completed online at epass.nc.gov/CitizenPortal/application.do
For assistance with completing applications for DSS programs, call 919-245-2800. Orange Works employment center is accepting appointments only. Please call 919-245-2800 and ask for employment services.
Effective immediately, the Orange County Board of Elections will suspend in-person services offered to the public. Staff continues to work and can be reached by telephone at 919-245-2350 and email at email@example.com, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – Noon and 1-5 p.m.
The public is encouraged to utilize our website to access voter registration forms and information at https://www.orangecountync.gov/1102/Voter-Registration and absentee ballot request information and forms at https://www.orangecountync.gov/1104/Absentee-Voting-By-Mail. These forms can be mailed to PO Box 220, Hillsborough, 27278 or dropped off at our office at 208 S. Cameron St, Hillsborough, 27278. Our foyer is open during business hours and forms may be obtained and/or placed in a secure drop box.
Housing and Community Development
All Housing & Community Development programs will remain available via phone and Internet.
OCPT will continue to operate the Hillsborough Circulator and provide transportation to medical appointments. These services will be provided fare-free until further notice.
For medical appointments, reservations are required. Non-Medicaid Trips: Call Reservation Line 919-245-2004. Medicaid Trips: Call Orange County Department of Social Service Voicemail 919-245-2774 or Fax 919-732-2137.
Parks and Recreation
Please call our main number at 919-245-2600 for information before visiting the office. Limited services are available.
Orange County Inspection Division will be open for walk-in customers to drop-off or pick-up and pay fees for permit applications. Customers who additional assistance or wish to discuss your project in more depth are asked to call and schedule an appointment to reduce time spent waiting. We will try to answer your questions over the phone or by email, if possible.
Appointments will also be needed for site plan review with Current Planning.
The majority of inspection staff will be working remotely, if you need to contact a Building Safety Official, Plans Examiner, or other staff please call our main number at (919) 245-2600 for contact information.
Curbside collection of 18 gallon orange recycling bins is suspended until further notice. This is being done to minimize collectors’ contact with household recyclables. Residents who wish to start using a blue roll cart instead of a bin can call 919-968-2788 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a 95 gallon cart.
If you wish to continue using your bins, you may recycle at any of the five Waste and Recycling Centers during operating hours or any of the four unstaffed recycling-only sites open 24/7 (www.orangecountync/recycling for locations). Residents are encouraged to limit their use of the Waste and Recycling Centers to one time each week to support social distancing and the safety of the staff and other residents using the sites. In addition, residents should remain in their vehicles until the receptacle needed is free so as to allow residents to maintain six feet distance from others.
Curbside Recycling will be collected as usual. AS ALWAYS: Keep out any tissues, paper toweling, bagged materials or other contaminants.
Register of Deeds
Register of Deeds services are available via appointment only. Please see the list below for specific services. If you need something else, please call 919-245-2685.
- Attorneys are urged to utilize our Electronic Recording System Simplifile.com or call 800-460-5657.
- Marriage License: Complete the online marriage application then call 919-245-2700 to schedule an appointment. Applicants only allowed in the office.
- Notaries that need to take their oath: 919-245-2685.
- Veterans needing to record their discharge papers: 919-245-2700.
- Attorneys, paralegals, etc., may mail in their documents or use the drop box located at the front of the building, this includes Assumed Business Name filings. Please read instructions located on the drop box before you place your document inside.
- If you have a Plat or documents requiring a Split, Merge, or multiple PIN sheet please call 919-245-2685.
Soil & Water Board of Supevisors
Call 919-245-2750 to schedule an appointment.
The doors to the Tax Office will be closed and we will provide services by phone 919-245-2100, email email@example.com or mail Orange County Tax Office, PO Box 8181, Hillsborough, NC 27278-8181. Field appraisers will continue field work on properties where reviews can be done street side.
Residents needing to pay taxes are encouraged to make payments by credit/debit cards: https://web.co.orange.nc.us/PublicWebAccess/ or 1-844-435-3981. Payments may also be made by mail (see address above) or at the outside drop box at the tax office entrance, 228 South Churton Street, Hillsborough. If paying by cash call 919-245-2100 upon your arrival, staff will come to the lobby, verify the amount and provide a receipt.