Volunteers make a difference! We rely on the hard work, love and commitment of our volunteers in all of our programs.
Volunteer Age Guidelines
- Age 16 and older: volunteer with no special supervision
- Age 13 to 15: volunteer with parent or adult supervision
- Are your children too young to volunteer? There are other ways to help! Please contact Cooper Hatch at 919-932-4965 or email Cooper Hatch.
Volunteers may come to the Animal Services Center to volunteer during the following hours:
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Tuesday, Thursday: 8:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
There are two volunteer orientations scheduled each month and each one lasts approximately 90 minutes. All volunteers are required to attend orientation. Our orientations are posted on the 15th of every month (or the Friday before if the 15th falls on a weekend). They fill up quickly. Register for an orientation to join in. If you receive a message saying that there are no spots available or no message at all, that means the upcoming orientations are full.
Volunteer training is scheduled every month. All volunteers are required to attend training. You must pre-register for training at orientation.
Volunteer opportunities are categorized by groups:
- Advanced - after 24 hours of basic volunteering
- Basic - entry level volunteer position
- Mentoring - after a combination of 36 hours of basic and advanced, plus apply with the Program Coordinator.
If you have a special skill, talent or hobby, please feel free to share them with us. There may be a need you can help with.
- Cat Socializer
- Clerical Assistant
- Dog Walker
- Emergency Shelter Assistant
- Facility Friend
- Kennel Assistant for cats and dogs
- Outreach/ Special Events Representative
- Small Animal Companion
- Adoption/Meet and Greet Counselor
- Animal Training Assistant
- Co-location Shelter Assistant
- Dog Walking off campus
- Pet Visitation
- Public Speaker
- Adoption Meet and Greet Mentor - assist the new counselors with questions shadowing, etc
- Training Mentor - assist with the volunteer orientation, volunteer training, adoption, meet and greet, and disaster management trainings
- Volunteer Mentor - “Go To” person for new volunteers and to give gentle reminders for other volunteers.