NOTICE: All VITA appointments to assist with 2018 income taxes have been filled. Those who are US Citizens or have a Green Card may walk-in to any remaining tax session. We recommend that you arrive early and plan to wait. We will do our best to fit you in, but cannot guarantee that you will be seen. We cannot accept Foreign Student Walk-Ins. 

Other VITA sites that may have appointments:

Chatham County Council on Aging: 919-542-4512

NC Taxpayer Assistance Center-Durham: 919-286-1822

United Way of Alamance – 336-438-2000

(Appointments full, SEE NOTICE ABOVE)  Book your appointment online or call us at 919-245-4242 to make an appointment.

VITA Appointment Booking Website


Sites & SchedulesVITA Volunteer with Client

Passmore Center                    Wednesdays: 9 AM - Noon
103 Meadowland Drive           Saturdays: 9 AM - Noon
Hillsborough NC

Seymour Center                     Thursdays: 9 AM - 3 PM
2551 Homestead Road           Fridays: 9 AM - 3 PM
Chapel Hill NC                        Saturdays: 9 AM - Noon

Foreign Students or others in the US with F, J, Q or M Visas can schedule appointments for tax assistance at the Seymour Center on selected Tuesdays. Additional resources for Foreign Students (PDF)

For non-English speaking clients, please have a bilingual person make the appointment and attend the appointment to interpret.  If necessary, interpretation services can be arranged by contacting Jeanne Chamberlin at 919-245-4240.

Chatham County VITA services are provided by the Chatham County Council on Aging in both Pittsboro and Siler City.  Call 919-542-4512 for more information.

What to Bring to Your Appointment

  • Photo identification for taxpayer & spouse.  Both spouses must be present if filing a joint return.
  • Social security cards & birth dates, or ITIN Letter, for everyone named on the return
  • Your Copy of last year’s federal and state tax returns
  • For direct deposit of refund or withdrawal of amount due: Bank routing & account numbers (voided check)
  • All information you have received from the IRS and NC Department of Revenue or is reported to the IRS
  • All documents regarding income received in tax year:  W-2 forms, social security income, pension, unemployment, retirement income, other work forms showing earnings, 1099-Misc, jury duty, 1099-K, 1099-DIV, 1099-INT, 1099-B
  • Self-employed: Receipts for expenses and statements of income
  • Health care documentation from your insurer or the Marketplace:
    • If you had Marketplace insurance you must bring your 1095-A.
    • You may receive 1 or more of 1095-A, 1095-B, 1095-C – bring what you have
  • Child day care or after-school care: Receipts for amount paid, provider’s name, address, phone, tax ID #
  • College student or parent of a college student: 1098-T statement; receipts for books & fees; statement from college listing other expenses
  • Medical expenses: Dollar totals by category (doctors, prescriptions, parking, miles driven)
  • Charitable donations: Dollar totals for money donated, things donated, & mileage for volunteer work.
  • Mortgage & Real Estate: Receipts for interest, points and real estate taxes paid
  • Personal Property Tax: Receipts for taxes paid on cars or trucks
  • Home sold in tax year: All records of home sales, with closing statements for original purchase and sale
  • Stock sales in tax year: All records of stock sales, including dates & prices of original purchase
  • Alimony paid or received: Amount and Social Security Number of ex-spouse
  • Health Savings Account:  Record of contributions and expenses