Summer Learning 2020
The Orange County Public Library is closed, but that won’t stop us from having a great summer together! We have reading challenges for all ages, a game board for kids birth through grade 5, college prep courses for teens, and more.
Updates will happen here, on our Facebook Event page. and in our e-newsletters (sign up here).
Check back often for updates!
FOR KIDS & FAMILIES | READING, GAMES, PERFORMANCES, & MORE
Our Summer Learning Playlist | Game Board. Read, have fun, win a book. Download page 1 here, and download page 2 here.
If you do not have a printer, you may be able to get a copy at the following locations in Hillsborough:
- Weaver Street Market
- Food Lions in Churton Grove and Daniel Boone
- Laundromats on Hwy 70 and Daniel Boone
- Dollar Tree and Dollar General
- Department of Social Services on Mayo Street
- Child Support Services on Margaret Lane
And in the Carrboro/Chapel Hill area, you may be able to get a copy at:
- Laundromats at Carrboro Plaza and Willow Creek, and the Chapel Hill Laundromat on MLK, Jr. Boulevard
- Department of Social Services on Homestead Road
- Cliff’s Meat Market, Mikyin Asian Market, Food Lion Willow Creek, Tienda Hispana La Nueva Guadalupana, Little Burma
If you cannot get out to one of these locations or supplies no longer exist, email email@example.com
Summer Challenge: Will You Accept? | Fridays, June 19 – July 24. Watch our videos, then complete the tasks. Send pictures of your projects to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can share here and on our Facebook Event page. New challenges available each Friday! Facebook Live | YouTube
Family Trivia Night | Friday, July 17, 7-8 p.m. | Go to Meeting | Best for kids ages 8 and up Join us for this virtual Family Trivia Night! Test your knowledge of pop culture, books, music and more. Register here.
Exciting Writing with John Bemis | Thursday, July 23, 5-6 p.m. | Join award-winning children’s book author John Claude Bemis as he shares fun activities for how to come up with exciting characters, settings, and plots. You will need a notebook and paper. You’re sure to walk away with lots of ideas for your next story! Register here.
STORYTIMES AND PANTRY SCIENCE - continue all summer!
YouTube - Video events are posted to our YouTube channel! Subscribe with your YouTube account for updates!
Facebook - Video events are also posted to our Facebook page! Follow Orange County Public Library for updates!
Storytime with Mr. Keith each Thursday at 9:30 a.m.!
Pantry Science with Ms. Lori, every other Tuesday at 4 p.m.! Next episode: Make a Sprinkler bottle! | Airs Tuesday, June 30, 4 p.m.| Facebook Video | School Age.
Storytime with Miss Heather, every other Tuesday at 10 a.m.! Next episode:Tuesday, June 23 at 10 a.m.!
FOR ALL ARCHIVED VIDEOS VISIT OUR VIRTUAL BRANCH
- Rags to Riches Theatre. “The Princess and the Pea” | Mon, July 13, 4 p.m. | Facebook or YouTube | Join us for this interactive and engaging performance of the classic fairy tale. No registration required.
- Criss Cross Mangosauce presents “Bilingual Fairytales” | Saturday, July 18, 10:00 a.m. | Zoom Performance | All ages Explore Latin-American versions of classic fairytales through music and storytelling. We will cast a spell with the magic of Princesas y Hadas. Laugh and wonder with lobos, rabbits and imaginary treasures. Space is limited. Register here.
- Music Discovery with the NC Symphony │ Mon, July 27, 4 p.m. │ Zoom │ The NC Symphony presents its virtual Music Discovery program. Geared for preschool and elementary age children and their families, this program will feature a NC Symphony musician providing an engaging music lesson, reading a book about music, and talking about the instruments of the orchestra. Attendees will learn how the instruments of the orchestra make their sounds and hear examples of classical and popular music. Space is limited. Register here.
FOR TEENS | IT’S ALL ONLINE!
Middle & High School Students. Read & enter to win prizes. Registration encouraged. Fill out the form here.
Teen/Tween Virtual Events Survey. Fill out this form and tell Miss Kafi and the Teen Advisory Board what you you’d like the library to offer online.
Test Prep, College Admissions, & the New Normal | FREE Online Event Series, June 23-July 14. What’s the difference between the SAT & ACT? How has COVID-19 affected testing and college application processes? The Princeton Review is hosting online sessions to answer to these questions and more! No downloads or software necessary. For more information or to register, click here.
FOR ADULTS | BINGO & BOOK CLUBS
Book Bingo. Finish Level 1 and you’ll win a book. Complete Level 2, and you will win a book and we’ll add a bookplate to one of your favorite books at the library. Anyone who checks out that book will know you participated in Summer Learning 2020. Download Level 1 here | Download Level 2 here.You may count any book finished after Monday, June 15.
Book Clubs continue this summer. You can find complete information here.
FOR LIBRARY LOVERS | JOIN THE FRIENDS
The Friends of the Orange County Public Library, Main Library is having a friend-drive. As an incentive, they’re offering your choice of free books from fantastic local authors. You just need to join or renew at the Family level ($40) or higher, or make an equivalent donation to the Friends.
The financial support the Friends receive goes directly to support library programs, staff development, and equipment like shelving. We all miss our Library right now, and this is a great way to show your support! For more information about the giveaways and to donate online, please visit the Friends website. And thank you for being a Friend!