Justice Advisory Council
The Justice Advisory Council (JAC), commissioned by the Board of County Commissioners in May 2016, is an appointed body of elected and senior justice system leaders and stakeholders that convenes on a regular basis to coordinate systematic responses to justice system issues in Orange County. The JAC coordinates, informs and enhances the work of the Criminal Justice Resource Office and is aligned with the best practices for the administration of an effective, innovative and equitable criminal justice system.
The JAC’s goals include examining the County’s justice system through collaborative efforts and research, promoting safety, improving the just and efficient treatment of offenders and reducing crime rates, incarceration rates and recidivism. The JAC is advisory in nature and does not have authority over any public or private entity, but does report to the Orange County Board of Commissioners.
- Position 1: Senior Resident Superior Court Judge Carl R. Fox or Designee Resident Superior Court Judge R. Allen Baddour, Jr.
- Position 2: Chief District Court Judge Joseph M. Buckner or Designee Pamela Weiden
- Position 3: District Attorney James R. (Jim) Woodall, Jr.
- Position 4: Public Defender Susan K. Seahorn
- Position 5: Clerk of Court James C. Stanford or Designee
- Position 6: Orange County Sheriff Charles S. Blackwood
- Position 7: Chapel Hill Police Department Chief Chris Blue
- Position 8: Carrboro Police Department Chief Walter Horton or Designee Captain Chris Atack
- Position 9: Hillsborough Police Department Chief Duane Hampton
- Position 10: Chief Magistrate Tony Oakley
- Position 11: Department of Social Services Director Nancy Coston
- Position 12: Health Department Director Quintana Stewart
- Position 13: Mental Health Representative: Cardinal Innovations/OPC Senior Community Executive Ric Bruton
- Position 14: Child Support Services Director Janet Sparks
- Position 15: Faith Community Representative: Bishop Victor Glover
- Position 16: Probation and Parole Chief Mike Rakouskas
- Position 17: Substance Use Treatment Provider Representative: Troy Manns, Recovery Communities of North Carolina
- Position 18: Re-Entry Advocate Representative: Maggie West, Co-Director of Community Empowerment Fund
- Position 19: Juvenile Justice Chief Court Counselor Peggy Hamlett
- Position 20: Orange County Schools Representative: Orange High Assistant Principal Will Okun
- Position 21: Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools Representative: School Board member Joal Broun
- Position 22: County Commissioner Representative: Commissioner Barry Jacobs
- Position 23: County Commissioner Representative: Chair Mark Dorosin
- Position 24: Mebane Police Department Chief Terrence Caldwell
- Position 25: Emeritus Position: Bernadette Pelissier
- Position 26: Partnership to End Homelessness Representative: Corey Root
- Position 27: UNC Hospitals Representative: Barbara-Ann Bybel
Administrators and Contacts for the Council:
- Caitlin Fenhagen – Criminal Justice Resource Director
Travis Myren – Deputy County Manager