Caregiver Support Services
Orange County Caregiver Awareness, Respite, Education & Support (OC CARES) is proud to offer both individualized and community level supports to caregivers. Please reach out to the Aging Information Helpline at 919-968-2087 or AgingTransitions@orangecountync.gov for more information.
- An opportunity to speak with a caregiver or dementia support specialist regarding your specific caregiving situation.
- Our social worker and occupational therapist team are available to support you through challenging situations that may arise along the dementia-caregiving journey.
- Schedule a time with an occupational therapist to complete a screening and learn more about you or a loved one’s specific areas of cognitive strength and challenge.
- Trained Options Counselors provide guidance to individuals as they make informed choices about long-term services and supports.
Music In My Mind
- A program to create a personalized music playlist for your loved one with memory change
- Music In My Mind Orange County
In-Home Assistance Resources
- Information about where and how to hire help at home
- Aging in Place Support (see In-Home Assistance)
‘Community News for Caregivers’ is a monthly email newsletter that provides information on upcoming events, relevant community topics, and related resources.
Caregiver Education Series: Caring Basic
A NEW monthly education series designed to provide information for individuals providing care and support for a friend or family member. Caregivers, join us to strengthen your skills and resilience, and bolster your ability to nurture and support those for whom you care. You may register for one or multiple sessions.
Instructors: Aging Transitions Team and Experienced Community Professionals
Register by: 1 week prior to event / Fee: FREE
Seymour Center, 2551 Homestead Rd., Chapel Hill, NC
Topics and Dates:
- Caregiving 101 – I’m helping care and support, now what?
Monday, September 23, 1:30 – 2:30 pm
- Managing Incontinence
Wednesday, October 23, 1:30 – 2:30 pm
- What is Palliative Care?
Thursday, November 21, 1:30 – 2:30 pm
Care Partner Collaborative
Join us as we come together weekly to co-create a space that welcomes and supports people experiencing early-stage memory loss. In a warm and relaxed setting, we’ll share conversation, have lunch, and enjoy movement and other activities of our own design.
This gathering, which takes place at the Seymour Center in Chapel Hill, is part of a collaborative project that relies on the input of care partners, who are invited to participate on a limited basis. Through their involvement in various aspects of the collaborative, care partners gain connection, community, comfort and confidence for their journey ahead.
Participation is free and registration is required. Please email Lisa Meinert or call 919-245-4251 to discuss eligibility details and whether this is a good fit for you and the person you are caring for.
Caregiver Support Groups
Meet with other caregivers to share experiences, learn new skills, and get answers to questions about dementia and other long-term disabilities.
The group meets:
- The first Tuesday of each month at the Passmore Center, 4 - 5:30PM; starting in March of 2019 the group will meet 2nd & 4th Thursday of the Month from 1:00 - 2:30PM
- The second and fourth Fridays of each month at the Seymour Center, 10:30AM - 12:00PM
Download the 2019 Caregiver Support Group Schedule (PDF)
Dementia Education Collaborative
The Dementia Education Collaborative is designed to provide basic information about dementia to individuals with memory concerns, caregivers, family members, friends, and interested community members.
‘What Can We Expect? Dementia Basics’
Dementia Basics is a four-part series with topics regarding brain health, types and stages of dementia, communication, and preparation for the journey ahead. Download and share the Dementia Basics flyer.
Register by: Fri, August 2 with Marie Dagger at 919-245-4279 or MDagger@orangecountync.gov.
Instructors: Aging Transitions Team and Experienced Community Members / Fee: FREE
Orange County Public Library,137 W. Margaret Ln, Hillsborough, NC
Mondays, 5:30-7:30 pm
Aug 5: Brain Health Basics
Aug 12: Types and Stages of Dementia
Aug 19: Communication
Aug 26: Planning for the Journey Ahead
Dementia Friendly Businesses
A free education program for local businesses and organizations that provides them with awareness and resources to better support clientele who are living with dementia.
See a complete list of Dementia Friendly organizations
If you would like to request a Dementia Friendly training, email the Aging Transitions Team or call 919-968-2087
We gather at Cup-A-Joe in Hillsborough on the first Tuesday of each month from 2:30 – 3:30 pm and at Bruegger's Bagels on the second Monday of each month from 2:00 - 3:15 p.m. This is a monthly opportunity for persons with dementia and their care partners to relax over a cup of coffee and socialize.
Memory Café on the Move
Fun opportunities for persons with dementia and their care partners to explore the community and connect with others.
- August 7 (Wednesday) at 2 pm – Maple View Ice Cream
- September 19 (Thursday) at 2 pm – Duke Homestead Tour
- October 17 (Thursday) at 1 pm- Ackland Museum of Art Tour
- November 18 (Monday) at 10:30 am – Duke Chapel Tour
- December 17 (Tuesday) at 2 pm – Carolina Inn – 12 Days of Christmas Tour