Music In My Mind Orange County
Music in My Mind Orange County (MIMMOC) is adapting the work of Music and Memory, a non-profit organization founded by New York social worker Dan Cohen.
We seek to improve the quality of life for care home residents and others suffering with dementia by promoting access to personally meaningful music. MIMMOC is working with Medicaid-accepting care facilities in the county to develop programs for providing iPods loaded with personalized playlists to their residents.
Other MIMMOC initiatives include creating a digital music library and iPod lending program for low income individuals with dementia and developing a program for training and coordinating volunteers to create personal playlists with county residents and caregivers. Through these strategies, MIMMOC seeks to unite elders with dementia with personally meaningful music that can significantly improve their quality of life.
Your financial support will help bring enjoyment to residents of Orange County with Alzheimer's and related dementias, and find renewed meaning and connection in their lives through the gift of personalized music.
Donations can be made online or they can be mailed to:
Music in My Mind
Orange County Department on Aging
2551 Homestead Road
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
- $25 (hours of personalized music for a program participant)
- $50 (iPod)
- $100 (iPod and music gift card)
Music in My Mind initiatives in Orange County
- Build digital music library
- Outreach to home-health and adult day care organizations, caregiver support organizations to coordinate Music and Memory training opportunities and subsidize equipment for low income users
- Subsidize Medicaid funded facility staff in Music and Memory training
- Volunteer development and partnership with other community volunteer organizations to sustain library, support caregivers at home, and continue outreach efforts
Meet Henry, who suffered from dementia for a decade and barely said a word to anyone - until Music and Memory set up an iPod program at his nursing home:
The clip is from Alive Inside: A Story of Music and Memory, 2014 Sundance Film Festival Audience Choice: U.S. Documentary winner. Alive Inside filmed by director Michael Rossato-Bennett documents the work of social worker and Music and Memory founder Dan Cohen.
The MIMMOC Program Team would like to thank all of our generous sponsors who support Music In My Mind Orange County, bringing music to those who need it the most!